I am an NCTJ qualified journalist with a 2:1 degree in journalism based in the south of England. I possess 100 wpm shorthand and the news writing qualification along with vast experience in sports reporting.
August-September 2010 Trinity Mirror South
Work experience as a sports reporter
- Contributed ideas and articles to sport sections of all Trinity Mirror South publications.
- Conducted phone interviews with professional and local sports stars including top golfer Paul Casey.
- Covered live football matches in the Combined Counties league.
- Reported on press releases and public emails following up leads where necessary.
September – Present https://nctjandbeyond.wordpress.com
Creator and author of blog to help journalism students with their studies and job hunt.
- 1,300 page views to date.
- Listed on journalism.co.uk under “Best Journalism Blogs” section.
- Written specifically for the targeted journalism student readership.
March-April 2009 www.musicmedication.com
- Conducted interviews
- Reviewed music releases and live shows
August 2008 The Wisden Cricketer Magazine
Two week work experience as an Editorial Assistant
- Researched facts and statistics for the majority of features and sidebars on Internet.
- Wrote articles for regulars section of magazine
- Subbed articles.
- Received printed by lines in magazine
- Worked well within a small team
April-May 2007 The River Newspaper: Kingston University
- Provided copy throughout the paper, including News, Sport and Entertainment articles.
- Subbed all written copy for style and grammatical errors.
- Subbed page layout, filling space and reducing widows and orphans.
- Designed and laid out pages.
- Proof read printed pages.
- Worked within a large team.
- Printed by-lines.
- Distribution around University campus’
December-January 2006/7 Sportsbeat News Associates
One month work experience as a Reporter:
- Penned copy of football match reports (both dated and live) match previews, league roundups, news articles and regular items.
- Conducted telephone interviews.
- Subbed articles.
- Research for background information on Internet.
- Worked well within a small team.
- Received a number of printed by-lines (including a front page story).
Education and Qualifications:
2010 NCTJ Pre Entry Exams, News Associated Wimbledon
Pass in all elements of course including 100wpm shorthand and news writing.
2004-2007 Kingston University
BA (Hons) Journalism
Upper Second Class Honours
1997-2004 Halliford School
2 A Levels, 2 AS Levels and 7 GCSE’s
- Writing: knowledge in news, features, sports and reviews through University course.
- Subbing: copy and layout experience.
- Layout: extensive knowledge in Quark Express 6.
- Shorthand: basic understanding to 50 words per minute.
- Interviewing: phone and face to face.
- Research skills: library, Internet and primary sources.
- Willingness to learn: acquired new skills through work experience and University course.
- Fast and proficient IT: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, E-Mail, and Internet Explorer.
- Teamwork: Enjoy working within a team or individually.
- Communication/Decision making skills: voicing opinions and bringing forward new ideas.
- Self-motivation/Management: meeting deadlines, working towards achieving degree and setting goals.
- Dependability: punctual, enthusiastic, conscientious and sensitive to ethical issues.